Architectural-Historical Reserve Ancient Plovdiv is an excellently preserved complex, also known as the Old Town, in which, on a small area, we can walk through the different eras, see ancient buildings adapted to modern life and feel the atmosphere of the city during the Renaissance.
It is located on a natural elevation - the trihill (the nearby Jambaz, Nebet and Taksim hills).
Many peoples have lived here over the centuries. Each has left both remnants of their culture and their name to the city.
The Regional Ethnographic Museum in Plovdiv is the second largest in Bulgaria. It was founded in 1917, and since 1938 it has been located in the Kuyumjieva house, in the Old Town. The exposition is rich and shows the traditional culture of Thrace, the Rhodopes and the Middle Mountains from the Renaissance period. The main livelihoods of the locals - animal husbandry and agriculture are presented in a permanent exhibition.
The works of fine art are over 100 valuable paintings, panels, icons, wood carvings, statuettes, metal sculptures. The city life, traditional crafts, the rich collection of ornaments and church utensils, traditional folk costumes, musical instruments, fabrics and carpets, ritual props are presented.
The Regional Archaeological Museum in the city of Plovdiv was founded in 1888. The museum houses over 100,000 exhibits discovered on the territory of the Plovdiv region, dating from prehistory to the Middle Ages.
The museum has its own restoration and restoration workshop. The museum is one of the oldest institutions in Bulgaria.
It is a cultural monument because it is the successor of one of the most important ancient cities of the Balkan Peninsula - Philippopolis.
Kapana is a district of the city of Plovdiv, in the very center of the city. Created as a center of craftsmen around the Kurshum Khan, the neighborhood is a peculiar tangle of small streets bearing appropriate names - Zhelezarska, Kozhuharska, Abadjiyska,
Zlatarska etc. All the houses are representatives of the Viennese architectural fashion. Today, all the ground floors have been converted into shops.
The northern part of Kapana has become Plovdiv's Soho - numerous bars and nightclubs have been concentrated here.
The Roman stadium in Plovdiv is the most significant monument of the ancient city. It is located in the cliff between Sahat Tepe and Trihulmieto, on Jumaya Square. It was built in the 2nd century on the model of the Delphic Stadium.
Only 12 such are preserved in the world. It is nearly 200 m long. In ancient times, the Roman stadium accommodated 30,000 people who watched gladiatorial battles and sports competitions. The area around the Roman Stadium is extremely attractive for guests of Plovdiv.
In the small square, local artists and artists exhibit their works - sculptures, paintings, jewelry, souvenirs, etc.
The first information about the Church of the Holy Virgin in Plovdiv is from the 9th-10th century. Later, during the Ottoman invaders of the Bulgarian lands, the church was completely destroyed.
During the period from 1844 to 1845 Bratsig craftsmen built a new large church, which is preserved to this day. In terms of iconostasis, icons, painted biblical symbols and images on the walls, the church is distinguished by exceptional beauty. The temple image of the Blessed Virgin Mary with the Infant Jesus was painted by the prominent artist Stanislav Dospevski.
The Plovdiv Metropolitan Church of St. Marina is dedicated to the holy great martyr Marina of Antioch. It belongs to the Plovdiv Diocese. It is a basilica, from the Renaissance period, with three naves, separated from each other by columns with capitals and semicircular arches.
In the yard you can see a six-story wooden belfry, about 17 m high, and is a unique work of church construction from the 19th century.
The small basilica has a rich architectural decoration and is one of the tourist attractions of the city of Plovdiv. It was discovered in 1988 during the construction of a residential block, it was restored and in May 2014 it opened its doors to visitors.
The mosaics on the floor are considered to be one of the most beautiful things made by the Philippian builders. It was built in the 5th century in honor of Basilisk - the chief military commander of the province of Thrace.
Bunardjik Hill, also called "Hill of the Liberators" and "Alyosha", is located in the city of Plovdiv. Declared a natural landmark, the hill is a favorite place of Plovdiv residents for rest and outings.
Its afforestation began with the erection of the Russian monument in 1881. In 1901, the first open-air restaurant was built, later - the Alyosha monument, and after that - the Summer Theater.
Built with Web Design Program